The resumption of the Repechage Round is the focus this morning at the $100,000 Argo Group Gold Cup.
Chris Steele’s 36 Below Racing from New Zealand and Keith Swinton’s Black Swan Racing from Australia both stand at 2-0 after two of seven scheduled flights.
The round also includes two America’s Cup teams, Dean Barker’s SoftBank Team Japan and Francesco Bruni’s Artemis Racing, World Match Racing Tour regular Johnie Berntsson’s racing team (the event’s reigning champion from Sweden), Blythe Walker’s Team RenRe from Bermuda, and two other younger teams – Chris Poole’s Riptide Racing from the U.S. and Reuben Corbett’s racing team from New Zealand.
The wind this morning is from the southwest and in the 5- to 10-knot range under partially cloudy skies.
The top two teams at the end of the repechage advance to the Quarterfinal Round, where six teams lie in wait: Taylor Canfield’s US One, Phil Robertson’s WAKA Racing, Björn Hansen’s Nautiska Racing, Eric Monnin’s Swiss Match Race Team, Ian Williams’ GAC Pindar and Adam Minoprio’s BlackMatch.
By virtue of their placing in the opening rounds robin, Canfield, Robertson and Hansen have earned the right to choose their opponent for the knockout quarterfinals, which will be announced this evening. All matches in the quarterfinals (and semis and final for that matter) are first to 3 points.
Repechage Round (after two of seven flights)
1. Chris Steele (NZL) 36 Below Racing, 2-0 – 2 points
2. Keith Swinton (AUS) Black Swan Racing, 2-0 – 2 points
3. Dean Barker (JPN) SoftBank Team Japan, 1-1 – 1 point
4. Francesco Bruni (SWE) Artemis Racing, 1-1 – 1 point
5. Reuben Corbett (NZL) Corbet Racing, 1-1 – 1 point
6. Johnie Berntsson (SWE) Berntsson Sailing Team, 1-1 – 1 point
7. Blythe Walker (BER) Team RenRe, -0-2 – 0 points
8. Chris Poole (USA) Riptide Racing, 0-2 – 0 points